Table of Contents
This month's Searchlite intro written by SEO Analyst, Cristiana Hawthorne
Hello and happy February!
Can you believe we are already a month into 2021? Time has flown! Things are picking up pace here at Uproer. Abby just sat down for an interview with Search Engine Land to talk about Uproer's award-winning user generated content strategy.
On a much sadder note, we at Uproer were very sorry to hear about the passing of Hamlet Batista, CEO of Rank Sense, and author of some incredible SEO resources. We wanted to share one of our favorites in his honor: How to Avoid SEO Disaster from a Replatform. We so appreciate his contributions to the SEO world, and beyond.
Here's what else is going on in the search world.
by John Smith, Uproer
- Optimization Score has only gotten more important for individual advertisers and partner agencies, and is likely to play a bigger role in the platform over the coming years.
- Recommendations don’t understand more nuanced strategies and tactics and some recommendations can dampen performance in complex accounts.
- Adopt trust-but-verify approach when considering any Google-surfaced recommendations.
Why it Matters:
Optimization Score has only gotten more important for individual advertisers and partner agencies, and is likely to play a bigger role in the platform over the coming years. Recent updates to exact match keywords and the search term report have limited advertiser control in favor of Google-native automation. If you come across a good recommendation for a change, roll it out deliberately, not all at once as the “Apply All” button would like you to do.
by Jess Girardi, Uproer
- E-Commerce SEO is a big topic, with many sub-points and levers you can pull to make your website stand out and rank well in SERPs.
- This guide covers how to set E-Commerce goals, how to fix common mistakes and how to level up your E-Commerce strategy using tried and tested on - page and off page techniques like digital PR, category content, and select link building.
Why it Matters:
There are so many parts to an E-Commerce SEO strategy that are constantly shifting and changing with search engine results pages always changing their ranking criteria. We'll show you how to build your own, well optimized and scalable E-Commerce website with our guide.
by Stephanie Davila, Ovative Group
- The iOS 14 update will be a big change. But like any big change, there are things you can do to limit the disruption if you’re prepared.
- This article outlines four key things you can do to ensure that your marketing efforts adapt to the tracking & measurement updates.
Why it Matters:
We echo that all marketers should also be diligent in the coming months. Measurement and reporting are going to see a turbulent 2021, so keep your eye on the headlines to see if Google and other platforms roll out similar updates. Be sure to talk to your teams and clients about this, and make sure everyone knows what the impact will be and how you will mediate the changes.
by Corey Morris, Search Engine Land Journal
- Not all SEO agencies are created equal. Which agency you partner with can have huge long-term implications for your business.
- When choosing an agency, it’s essential to cut through buzzwords and jargon in order to seek a real understanding of how an agency operates and what you can expect from them as a client.
- Starting with a framework for how to evaluate potential agency partnerships can help you be more structured in your approach and avoid common pitfalls.
Why it Matters:
The decision of which SEO agency to hire is a big one. Too often, decision-makers meet with potential agencies without really knowing how to evaluate the candidates in a meaningful way. The result? A decision that’s often based on superficial information - a positive first impression rather than what truly makes an agency great (or terrible) to work with.
If you’re planning to hire an SEO or SEM agency, research and think critically about what makes a good agency partner, as well as what doesn’t. This article will help you specify exactly what you should ask during initial talks so that you can breeze past the usual BS and get to the brass tacks.
by Adam Steele, CXL
- Google is constantly testing ranking factors and almost every week is pushing new features into search results. This means that doing one round of optimizations is not enough.
- Constant revision of content is essential to grow and maintain rankings.
- A SERP analysis needs to be part of every piece of content you create to ensure you're being relevant for the term you want to rank for.
Why It Matters:
SERP analysis is an important tool that will help future-proof your content and create something that actually helps your brand answer questions and be competitive. This coupled with an up to date knowledge on SERP features is essential in creating the best content possible for that particular search term.
Other Interesting Stories:
This week's tool isn't necessarily search-specific, but it sure is useful. It's a productivity extension, designed to turn any article in your browser into a podcast. It uses machine learning to bring its "siri-esque" voice to a new level of seamlessness. It's a great tool for people who would rather listen to their content than read it. Think of all the Searchlites you could listen to while folding laundry, or washing the dishes!