How CaringBridge grew user acquisition with a holistic search strategy
CaringBridge is a nonprofit which offers free online health journals for sharing health updates with family and friends all at once. In 5 years partnered together, Uproer has been able to steadily increase organic and paid search conversions at a significantly lower cost CPA with a holistic search strategy.
Our Search Strategy
From the beginning, CaringBridge has been driven to build a community of support online. Their Resource pages present inspirational stories from real people going through health journeys. Because of this, we created a search strategy that began with SEO content and expanded into paid media over time.
We supplemented that with a more refined non-brand strategy that leveraged a free Google grant for upper funnel awareness. We explored low-funnel keywords for patient websites, feature-focused keywords, and other high-potential keywords. And through that process, we grew performance to some of the highest levels in account history!
- Discovered that the CaringBridge audience is largely cancer and caregiver focused, and that sites are started by both patients and family members.
- Created “health journey” topic hubs, starting at the Discovery stage to Coping & Healing stages.
- Targeted high-volume keywords from the family and friends perspective, with topics like “What to Say to Someone With Cancer.”
- We leveraged $40,000 in grant spend for top-of-funnel, traffic-driving efforts.
- We financed brand spend with a free Google grant for nonprofits.
- We tested new initiatives with the free money before we brought them into our out of pocket account.
- Wrote prompts for each article that were shared via the CaringBridge Facebook page.
- Collected responses and stories from the prompts on Facebook and incorporated them into articles. Used responses as a source for content ideation and a way to tap into the CaringBridge audience.
- Used new blog comments to refresh existing articles.
- We tested keywords like “patient websites” and “caregiver calendar” to highlight key features and encourage users to start a CaringBridge site.
- We took a long-run toward improvements and worked with internal data teams to demonstrate the value of our efforts.
- We collaborated as a team to support our SEO efforts with content-focused campaigns.
- Created a sign-up form CTA box and added to all blog posts to capture leads.
- Linked to other high-converting landing pages like “How it Works” in each blog article.
- We conducted regular tests to demonstrate the incremental value of non-brand search.
- We measured the overlap between new efforts like performance max and our existing brand and non-brand campaigns.
“I have worked with Uproer for almost 2 years now and I could not be happier. This agency is smart, talented, efficient and knowledgeable. Couldn't ask for a better partner!”
— Beth Betcher, CaringBridge
+250% increase in Paid Search conversions
By increasing search marketing performance holistically, CaringBridge saw significant growth in conversions at lower acquisition costs.
- 1,200% increase in SEO blog traffic throughout the engagement
- 53% Y/Y increase in conversions across SEM & SEO
Want to work with Uproer?
We like to start with a 30-minute introductory call to hear what you’re looking for and answer your questions about Uproer. If we gauge that we’re a fit, we’ll move forward with a proposal.