Treehouse is a platform for learning coding online. Going into 2022, Uproer was brought in to further improve Treehouse’s SEO following a series of algorithm updates. Since partnering with Uproer, technical and content SEO have played a major role in growing and rebranding Treehouse’s organic presence.
Our SEO Strategy
Treehouse has been around for over a decade. With experienced teachers and classes designed to help students engage in unique ways, it began to set itself apart from competitors. Then, a combination of misleading competitor reviews and three Google algorithm updates began to cause organic traffic to fall. In less than a year, we've been able to turn this around through significant technical fixes and a consistent content strategy.
- Moved individual course and video pages into a subfolder of the corresponding course page.
- Removed the no-index tag from paginated community pages.
- Moved profile URLs into their own subfolder and removed from the index, then blocked from crawling.
- Removed 14,000 404 URLs.
- Established on-page optimization best practices by updating each key landing page with keywords, links, and metadata.
- Targeted BOFU keywords sourced from Reddit forums like “Is a Treehouse Techdegree Worth It?”
- Prioritized bottom to mid funnel content that was highly relevant to Treehouse courses and features.
- No-indexed over 300 URLs with thin or outdated content.
- Conducted monthly content updates to refresh previous top-performing articles.
“The Uproer team’s methodical approach to fixing SEO challenges really does produce results. Their team focuses on what matters most to companies like Treehouse, and it shows.”
— Jason Gilmore, CEO, Treehouse
Grew organic users by +33,500 (+21%) in just 3-months to the Treehouse forums
Treehouse’s community pages act as a forum for students to ask questions about different coding concepts and lessons. This section of the site brings in the most traffic, but before beginning our SEO strategy, more than half the URLs were hidden from search results. Traffic immediately increased once these URLs were indexed. This simple technical adjustment resulted in an additional +53,000 unique pages added into Google’s index.
Want to work with Uproer?
We like to start with a 30-minute introductory call to hear what you’re looking for and answer your questions about Uproer. If we gauge that we’re a fit, we’ll move forward with a proposal.